Rapid City Stevens High School
4215 Raider Road
Rapid City, SD 57702
Phone: (605) 394-4025
FAX: (605) 394-4098
School Website: http://public.rcas.org/hs/shs/Pages/default.aspx
Accredited by: AdvancED/North Central Association
CEEB Code: 4 2 1 0 7 2
2016 – 2017 School Profile
Community and School
Rapid City, South Dakota, is a growing community of nearly 70,000 people in a rural area where tourism is a large industry. Agriculture also has a large influence on the economy. Rapid City is a regional trade center for neighboring states seeking medical care, air transportation, shopping, higher education, and sports and entertainment. Included in Rapid City are a state 4-year college of engineering, a University Center of seven colleges, a private business and informational technology college, and one state technical institute. Ellsworth Air Force Base, located 10 miles from Rapid City, is an integral part of our community with many military families living in the Rapid City community. Many of the parents of Stevens High School students are professionals; however, there is a growing mix of economic levels within the school population.
Stevens High School is located on the west side of Rapid City, South Dakota, in Pennington County. Stevens is one of three public high schools in Rapid City and has been accredited by the AdvancED/NCA since 1970. Enrollment is approximately 1600 students in grades 9-12 of which 65% will attend a post secondary institution.
Stevens High School provides a full high school program including math, science, language arts, social studies, fine arts, physical education, business/computers, technology, family and consumer sciences, agriculture, world languages, and special education. Advanced Placement classes are offered in English, United States history, psychology, United States government, calculus, chemistry and physics. Activities include athletics, band, choir, drama, and debate, as well as a full range of club activities.
- Current Total School Enrollment: 1,623
- Senior Class Size: 360
- Grade Levels Served: 9, 10, 11, 12
- School year calendar: Semesters
- Block scheduling: No
- Grading Scale: 4.0
AP/college courses: 5.0
- Course schedule: Classes meet five times per week in an 8-period day.
- Periods: 48 minutes.
- Credits: .5 credits for semester course /1.0 credit for year course
GPA and Ranking Information
- Rank: Unweighted
- GPA: Weighted
- GPA: Covers Grades 9, 10, and 11, all subjects
A = 93 – 100
B = 85 – 92
C = 77 – 84
D = 70 – 76
F = 00 – 69
School’s passing mark: D- 70%
Advanced Placement Course Offerings
(Classes offered if sufficient enrollment)
- AP English 12 (Literature and Composition)
- AP Government and Politics: U.S.
- AP U.S. History
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Physics 1
- AP Physics 2
- AP Chemistry
- AP Psychology
Advanced/College Prep/Highest Level courses:
- College Algebra (began 2016-17)
- Level 4 World Language (if sufficient enrollment)
- Advanced English 10
- Advanced English 11
- Advanced Photography
- Advanced Theatre
- Advanced Clay
Students in Grades 9, 10, 11, or 12 may apply to enroll in college or postsecondary technical institutions under South Dakota statute. Students who successfully complete a 3 or 4 credit college course are awarded 0.5 high school credit toward graduation. Grades for college courses are weighted on a 5.0 point scale.
Graduation requirements: 22 units, grades 9-12.
- 4.0 units of English
- 3.0 units of Social Studies
- 3.0 units of Mathematics
- 3.0 units of Laboratory Science
- 1.0 unit of Fine Arts
- 1.0 unit of Information/Communications Technology
- 1.0 unit of Physical Education (includes Health)
- 0.5 unit of Personal Finance/Economics
- 1.0 unit of Required Offerings: World Lang. or Capstone Experience/Service Learning or Career & Technical Ed.
Post High School Information
62% attending 4-year colleges
8% attending 2-year or technical colleges
ACT / SAT Scores
ACT & SAT scores will accompany the student’s high school transcript if the student requested scores be sent to the high school.
Transcript interpretation codes:
- AP Advanced Placement
- PAS Tested Out Passing score – 85% (B) (beginning Sept. 2008)
- TST Tested Out Passing score – 85% (B)
- WF Withdraw Fail (F Grade)
- College Postsecondary course
- VT Western Dakota Tech course
- * Weighted course
- IS Independent Study
- P Passing grade
- > Course not included in class rank and GPA
2015 – 2016 ACT
|251 students of the Class of 2015 took the ACT|
2015 – 2016 SAT
|42 students of the Class of 2010 took the SAT|
|Mean Critical Reading||551||572|